Monday, January 8, 2018

Near Miss

I was working my 7:30 am - 5:00 pm shift today (the truck arrived a day late due to yesterday's monstrous wind chill temp of -25F), when an amateur, unlicensed driver slammed her minivan into the front of the store, and kept going for a bit once she'd breached the wall.

I was over in HBA putting away some tissue, when I heard a loud thump. Next thing I know, the car was still moving forward into the store, completely destroying the computer station area, and then it withdrew. I rang up the remaining customers as the others (Chris & Lori) cleared the store, and Arthur manned the doors & checked on the car's occupants outside. After Chris & I made a few calls, the fire department, police and building inspectors showed up, with Julio arriving from his bank run soon after. We all stood around for a bit (I got my eyes checked, because a gust of wind came in through the hole and blew some stinging dust dust into my eyes), and after talking to the police, I left around 3:00.





If the car had hit 5 minutes later, I'd have been sitting at that computer desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment